Re: Handling of /etc/printcap

On Tue, Feb 3 1998 10:39 +0500 "Adam P. Harris" writes:
> David, did you ever get any sort of solution on this?
No, I'm still waiting until a solution is emerging and settled on
debian-policy.

> Perhaps there should be a pointer from developers documentation on how
> to deal with a conffile which is in another package, where that other
> package provides no standard means to update its conffiles.
Yes, I'd appreciate that warmly :=)

> David, AFAIK, the only solution is to have a sysadmin program (or
> script of course) which makes the changes you were automating in
> postinst, but just pipes to STDOUT or something.  Then you leave it up
> to the sysadmin to make the changes, thereby covering your ass.
This is something I thought about too. But it is obviously only second
class...

> Of course the ultimate solution is to either work with Guy on the
> generic modify conffile/services system he mentioned in debian-devel a
> while back, or even work with lpr/lprng people to have a stdized way
> to hack the configs.
I asked the lpr Maintainer, but he is at the moment to busy... :(

David
--
David Frey (51F35923114FC864 7D05FF173C61EFDE)
  -- Henry Spencer