Re: beta software ok for unstable? (was: Re: policy Q's WRT imapd)

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998,Santiago Vila wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Christian Schwarz wrote:
>
> > Yes. Beta software is ok for "unstable". Only "critical" software (i.e.,
> > programs that are likely to trash your filesystem) should go into
> > "experimental".
>
> I disagree here.
>
> If beta is not ok for stable, then it is not ok for unstable either,
> because unstable may become frozen and later unstable at any time.

Well in this case, the software is beta in the first sense Christian
mentions or at least I think so.  As soon as I get a moment to breathe, I
will upload the package and everyone can decide for themselves.

As for the larger issue, while it is true that unstable will become stable
eventually, surely this won't be allowed to happen until a thorough
review has been made and all serious bugs removed?  I hope it will not be
"at any time."

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@braincells.com>