Re: PW#5-3: How packages can register cron jobs

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> Is the following solution correct?
>
> 1. The `conffile' is _not_ tagged as conffile and _not_ included in the
> package tree,
>
> 2. it's created in the postinst script if that file does not already
> exist,
>
> 3. it's removed in the postrm script when a `purge' is selected.

Looks ok.

> But then, how should we handle the cases where the `configuration file'
> exists already, before the package was installed? Should we leave this
> file as is

Yes, because this allows a package to be "pre-configured" by another
package or by hand before actually installing it.

I have a package called `papersize-a4' which hopefully will help me a lot
when I had to install Debian in a 21-computer lab. This package just
creates a suitable /etc/paperconfig having "a4" inside, and then
libpaper does not ask anything when it is installed.

> and should the postrm really remove that file when a `purge'
> was selected?

Yes, because in some way, the file "belongs" to the package, even if it
is not inside the .deb.

> In addition, I think the corresponding section of the Policy Manual also
> needs to be corrected. Currently, section 3.3.7 Configuration files reads
>
> ``[...] It is almost certain that any file in /etc that is in your
> package's filesystem archive should be listed in dpkg's conffiles control
> area file. (See the Debian Packaging Manual).

It is almost certain that any file in /etc is a configuration file.
It should not have to be as "certain" that the file has to be managed
by dpkg (i.e. conffiles). Example: /etc/papersize.

> [ ... ]
> Wouldn't it be good to list such `configuration files' (that need to be
> changed by scripts) in a new control field?

Perhaps.

BTW: I love this type of configuration files, they reduce the amount of
prompting dpkg does when upgrading the package.