Re: multi-platform, FSSTND compliance, and /usr/share/

On Sat, 31 Jan 1998, Yann Dirson wrote:

[snip]
>  > the FHS in Debian 2.1 (at least partially--see below) but stay with FSSTND
>  > for Debian 2.0. (The changes would be too much to get hamm out in time.)
>
> implementing FHS would take time, but recommending /usr/share, with
> compat links, for all new uploads will make things even better IMHO.

But we don't like compat links that much ;-)

>  > However, I don't have any problems (and I think this is FSSTND compliant
>  > also) with packages using /usr/share instead of /usr/lib if this doesn't
>  > break other packages.
>
> Yes, it is FSSTND compliant, as long as there are links to all dirs
> under /usr/share, and that no app uses /usr/share directly.
>
> How do you understand that ?
>
> Should I set up /usr/lib/kbd/* links to /usr/share/ again ?

Why? If some other package references the files in /usr/lib/kbd/, you
should move the files back to this location. If your package is the only
one that uses these files, you should adapt the paths in your programs to
refere to the new location (/usr/share), so no symlinks are necessary.

Please let us stick to the decision which came out of the previous
discussion on this topic: Debian 2.0 will be FSSTND compliant, not FHS.
The move to FHS will be done after FSSTND has been frozen (probably even
later--after it has been released) but we'll have to work out the details
of this migration process first, before anyone starts changing packages.

As the usr of /usr/share is fine with the FSSTND but is not required by
the FSSTND, there is no problem if packages use this directory. But
moving files into this directory is not allowed _now_ if this breakes
other packages.

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com
                  schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA

 CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at
 	                                     http://www.schwarz-online.com