Re: lintian and e2fsprogs: doc-directory policy

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Yann Dirson wrote:

[snip]
> My question is: does anybody think it would be a good idea to somewhat
> relax the policy in this respect, by allowing a lib-package with a "g"
> in its name to have a docdir without this "g" ?

Before discussing any policy proposals, here are the reasons behind
current policy:

1. The user should be able to read the copyright file of an arbitrary
package by looking at /usr/doc/foo/copyright. (E.g., if foo is a symlink
to a directory in another package, a depends: is required to make sure
the referenced file is always installed on the system.)

2. We want to extract the copyright files mechanically be a script.
(Since we could write an `intelligent' script to extract copyright files,
this point shouldn't be much of a problem.)

I think these two points are still important. I don't have any objections
against relaxing policy WRT copyright files, as long as these two points
are covered.

Thanks,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz