/etc/init.d/README and policy manual

Hi folks!

As you've probably seen from my last policy weekly posting (issue #5),
policy will be changed to force each /etc/init.d/foo script to support the
`restart' and `force-reload' options.

When I updated the policy manual I discovered that the /etc/init.d/README
file and the chapter about init.d in the Policy Manual are nearly the
same--but not exactly the same. We somehow have to "merge" the texts.

Now the question is how we should continue. Keeping the text duplicated
does not make much sense. Either all the text is integrated into the
policy manual and you include a very short README to refer to the policy
manual, or the other way around, or we set up a new manual and we both
refer to this.

Note, that when we move this out of the policy manual, I guess some people
will not consider it "authoritative" to follow the rules. In addition, all
substantial changes to the README would have to go through some "approval
process". On the other hand, the local sysadmin might not want to dig out
the policy manual just to set up sysvinit. So until now, I'm undecided how
to handle this.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/