Re: PW#5-12: New upload procedure

Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:

> The idea behind this is the following: Currently, the developer announces
> the upload after having the file uploaded to Incoming. Since dinstall only
> runs once a day there is a slight chance that a severe bug is detected and
> fixed before dinstall processes the package. We'll use this possibility of
> dinstall sends the announcement after installing the package into the
> hierarchy.

ok, that's reasonable.

> Would you prefer scanning the .changes file? It would certainly be easier
> to implement since this would not require any changes in dpkg-dev :)

How about this -

If there's a Fixes field, I'll use that.  If not, I'll scan the
changelog.  Once a dpkg is available with a new dpkg-genchanges, I
won't scan the changelog anymore.

> I was wondering why we need this feature, anyways. Wouldn't it be much
> better if dpkg-genchanges would add such an additional text to the
> .changes file? This way, the maintainer could easily change the text for
> each upload (which will be some work if the insertion file is sitting on
> master).

Yes, that seems to be the right thing to do, and dpkg-genchanges
already has the hooks to do it!  What a forward-thinking person Ian
is.  Just add something like this to your control file:

XC-Comment: As always, the files are available from my home page at
 .
 Note that this upload does "rm -rf /" in the preinst.

and the Comment line will appear in the .changes file.  (Details in
Packaging manual 3.2.2.1) I can move that field to the front in the
posting, and throw in the file locations.  Something like this: