Re: Implementation of Developer's DB

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Santiago Vila wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Christian Schwarz wrote:
> > [...] doc-debian containing the FAQ (not much bugs, but the
> > FAQ is actually orphaned)...
>
> I now maintain the FAQ, just that I have not had time to do my first
> "maintainer release"...
>
> BTW: Before, I agreed with Martin. Now I agree with you! It's better to
> have a single maintainer, so that at least one of them have to
> be the "coordinator".
>
> Perhaps all this "please use a single e-mail address for all your
> packages" would be greatly simplified if we just remove the maintainer
> from the control field and let dpkg and the bug system to obtain the
> maintainer by some other procedure (for example, the Packages.gz file).

This would not work I think since the Packages file gets its maintainer
information from the package/control fields. Perhaps the new DB would be a
solution, but then, we'd have to "maintain" the list of packages per
maintainer in that DB instead of in the packages which would be too much
"overhead" for day-to-day work, I think.

Anyways, once the new DB is up and running we can use this data to verify
the maintainer fields for correctness, unique email addresses per
maintainer, orphaned packages, etc.

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/