Re: x-game in /usr/X11R6 or in /usr/games?

On 17 Nov 1997, Jim Pick wrote:

> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
>
> > I plan to package xscavenger, and I don't know where to put
> >
> > a) the game exe, in /usr/games or (default) /usr/X11R6/bin
>
> In /usr/games, I guess.  I looked there, and xlincity and xpat2
> are installed there.

Yes, most of the games are there (quake, xsok, ...), but some game like
fun progs (xearth) made it to /usr/X11/bin.

> I don't particularily like that feature of the FSSTND - I don't
> understand the rationale behind it - I wonder if it survived in
> the FHS?

I think that a seperate tree for games is a bit discrimating. The standard
directory tree is sufficient for all files if you ask me - ...

> > b) the lib-thing, in /usr/lib/games/scavenger or (default)
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/scavenger.
>
> Probably /usr/lib/games/scavenger if you install the binary in
> /usr/games.

Yes, both have to be consistent with each other. So, now I have one
private mail for /usr/X11R6 and one for /usr/games.

What does policy say (if anything).

Marcus