Re: Filesystem Hierarchy Standard 2.0 (fwd)

[ This was originally on debian-devel, then private email, and now to
  debian-poilicy for comments.  Note, I'm not subscribed to the policy
  list, so you'll have to cc me if you want my input. --Brandon ]

On Sun, 2 Nov 1997, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> Please don't do this! The migration process from FSSTND to FHS needs to be
> well prepared before anyone starts updating his/her packages. If you want
> to help with the preparation, please join debian-policy@lists.debian.org.
>
> (I think we should create a "Debian FSSTND to FHS Mini HOWTO" in the
> process of the discussion which can be used by every maintainer to update
> his/her packages-- _after_ hamm has been released/frozen.)

Hi Christian,

Hmmm... I was just looking through the policy archives to make sure my
idea hasn't been mentioned, and my idea has almost been mentioned.
Basically, I was thinking of how to make the change:

1) make a fhs package which is basically a postinst script.
2) in the script, wait until dpkg is finished (like menu waits on the lock
    file)
3) move everything to the correct location, and create sym links from the
    old to the new locations.
4) we let packages become compliant as they want to, I'm hoping the sym
    links take care of a mix of compliant and non-compliant packages.
    Compliant packages pre-depend on the fhs package. (I have a feeling
    you won't like this part, but maybe not looking at the libc6
    transition.)
5) after some kind of verification that all packages are compliant (I'm
    debating using dependencies, or some other check) the user can install
    a newer version of fhs that removes the sym links, and the transition
    is complete.  This can be a release or two later (I have a feeling we
    may need a release shortly after 2.0 to take care of a bunch of
    problems we missed).

The concern here is that someone mentioned that dpkg has a hard time with
directory sym links.  If my logic is flawed, I'd be interested to hear
your reasons.  If you like the idea, you're free to do whatever with it.

Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu>   "We all know linux is great... it
PGP: finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu          does infinite loops in 5 seconds"
Phone: (757) 221-4847                      --Linus Trovalds