problems with editor/pager policy

Hi folks!

There are currently two problems with the editor/pager policy:

1. Some packages start to use /usr/bin/{editor,pager} but no package
(AFAIK) does provide this yet.

   I think we need someone to coordinate this effort and to file bug
reports against all editors/pagers which do not comply with current
policy. Any volunteers?

2. When I wrote the section

  ``Since the Debian base system already provides an editor and a pager
program, there is no need for a package to depend on `editor' and `pager',
nor is it necessary for a package to provide such virtual packages.''

I assumed that the "ae" package is marked `Essential'. Thus, we either
have to mark it `Essential' or have to implement a virtual package
`editor'.

(Or is there any other editor in the base system that's marked
`Essential'?)

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com
                  schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA

 CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at
 	                                     http://www.schwarz-online.com