Re: -O3 compilation?

John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:

> Currently, our policy encourages or mandates -O2 compilation.

Uh, why not read actually read policy?  It says:

 "It is up to the package maintainer to decide what compilation options
  are best for the package. *Certain binaries (such as
  computationally-intensive programs) may function better with certain
  flags (`-O3', for example); feel free to use them.* Please use good
  judgment here. Don't use flags for the sake of it; only use them if
  there is good reason to do so. Feel free to override the upstream
  author's ideas about which compilation options are best--they are
  often inappropriate for our environment." [My emphasis]

I think that covers your concerns.

--
James