free PGP (Was: Re: are md5sums mandatory for all packages?)

storm@gate.net (Scott Ellis)  wrote on 19.12.97 in <[🔎] Pine.A32.3.93.971219132852.61658A-100000@dakota.gate.net>:

> And the instant someone provides us with free software equivilant to ssh
> or pgp, we'll move to use it.  We need the functionality, unfortunatly
> sometimes you have to use what you can get.

You _do_ know that there's a free PGP version, right? (The "u[i[n]]"
series.) See the international PGP home page. It's derived from very early
PGP versions that were still free. Incidentally, the guy who did the last
hacks on it lives in the same city as I do :-)

Currently, it has more bugs than the "normal" versions. This could, of
course, be changed.

Also, there is an IETF working group trying to put together a standard for
"Open PGP", even with the help of PGP Inc. Once that's reasonably stable,
I expect a free OPGP that implements it. This will mainly be a PGP5-alike.

> As for qmail, when it was set up we believed the final product would be a
> bit more free.  Its rough for the appropriate people to find a way to
> change to something else without breaking the mail setup.

Look into Exim. The docs mention how to implement at least some of the
qmail functionality.

MfG Kai