Re: are md5sums mandatory for all packages?

    MS: 	I still fail to see any advantages in what even you
    MS: admit is a half baked security solution. There is a better, more
    MS: secure, real solution in terms of tripwire.

But we have none -- tripwire is non-free software.

Dpkg md5sums could be more simple for a user (just typing
`dpkg --check-md5sums').  On my home system I'm not interested in
security, I may only want to check the system e.g. after some HW
accident.  I don't know whether such a thing is much useful (I didn't
need it yet), but if it is easy to implement, why not to add this
facility?

    MS: I'd be more inclined to assign bugs to packages that use this
    MS: mechanism for wasting space [...]

Why to waste space for some non-free package instead?

Milan Zamazal