Re: liblockdev ready for policy?

Christian Schwarz wrote:

> In the last policy weekly (#4), I asked for comments if we should
> make it policy that every package has to use liblockdev to lock
> devices. Noone objected so far.
>
> So, is liblockdev ready for a wide use or are there any (hidden)
> problems?

The library has matured and current version 0.6 can be considered stable
(the only change I have in the future 0.7 is a URL in docs :-).

I have also created an extension perl library; using it also perl
programs can share the advantage of having all locks to devices done
through a shared lib.

I have tested the library with dip, which uses it in hamm from the
beginning (I tested it for two months on bo too). No problems arose.

Hidden problems could be in the API, as none has yet tryed to use it in
_real_ application (except dip), so I would wait for more conversions to
release 1.0
The library handle perfectly the case of a mixed environment (programs
that use old FSSTND-lock and programs that use liblockdev), so there is
no need to have this mandated for hamm release.
Anyway it would be good if other programs start to use it as soon as
possible.

The library doesn't (yet) handle the case of mouse shared between X11
and gpm, but yesterday I succeded in convincing gpm's author to
subscribe to liblockdev mailing list (if interested, you can subscribe
to <liblockdev-request@pluto.linux.it>).

On my site (ftp://ftp.icenet.fi/private/fpolacco/liblockdev) there are
also RPMs of the library. I have not yet uploaded the perl extension on
CPAN.

Fabrizio