Re: proposed minimum function of /etc/init.d scripts

On 8 Dec 1997, Guy Maor wrote:

[snip]
> The command which reloads or fails should continue to be called
> reload.  The one which does or a reload or restart can be called
> something else, though I'm also at a loss for a suggestion.

I vote for "force-reload" since this looks similar to dpkg's "force"
options.

Let me summarize the current proposal:

-------------cut-here-------------
Each /etc/init.d script _has_ to provide the following options:

    start        has to start the daemon(s)
    stop         has to stop the daemon(s)

    restart      has to stop and start the daemon(s)

    reload       If possible, has to make the daemon(s) refreshing
                 their configuration files _without_ actually "restarting"
                 them.

    force-reload  If possible do a "reload", otherwise a "restart"

This means _all_ scripts have to provide all 5 options. If any options
fails, an appropriate error message should be displayed on stderr and a
non-zero error level has to be returned.
-------------cut-here-------------

I just want to get sure we are all talking about the same proposal. If
not, please tell me.  (It might be some work to change all /etc/init.d
scripts, so we should not make a mistake here.)

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian has a logo!    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Check out the logo     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
pages at  http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/