Re: Policy Weekly Issue #4/4: Announcing new packages before uploading them

Rob Browning wrote:
> This was put forward as one option.  What they were talking about was
> an optional mail header that would be in the message making the
> announcement, and would be picked up and processed by a smart list
> handler.  See my header above for a silly example.  (You'll probably
> have to hit 't' in GNUS to see it.  Don't know about other MUAs).
>
> As I recall, any header that starts with X- is reserved by some RFC
> for private use.

Hmm, this is different than the idea of adding them to the changelog and
having Guy's installer scripts close the bugs. If this X-CLose header is
used, the responsibility for closing bugs is still left up to the developer.
Part of the reason for having the installer scripts close the bugs is so the
bugs are only closed if/when the package is actually installed into the
distribution. This X-Close idea won't let you do that.

--
see shy jo