Re: On Bruce Perens and Dave Cinege, etc.

Hi,

Richard> M W Blunier wrote:
>> On 27 Oct 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>

>> > What problems are term limits supposed to solve, exactly?

>> They prevent the voters from re-electing someone that due to his
>> entrenchment in the system, has more power than a freshman would
>> have.  Greedy and self serving voters vote for the incumbant not
>> because is better for the larger comunity, but because he can use
>> the power for the people that voted for them.

Richard> Hm.  I can't say I agree with this view. The problem is that
Richard> when someone has been leader for too long, it becomes very
Richard> difficult to imagine anyone else in that position. How many
Richard> Debian developers remember when Bruce was not project leader?

	I do. And I resent the implication that Debian developers are
 stupid sheep (umm, though voting is fairly intelligent for sheep) who
 can't decide on the merits of candidates.

	Also, if the developers want to elect someone, why should they
 be thwarted by someone right now who thinks he knows better than
 them? What does make you think you know better than the collective
 Debian group at election ime, to a-priory restrict their choices?
 Even without an inkling of how matters stand?

Richard> However, I don't think term limits are a good answer to this.
Richard> They're much too harsh and inflexible.  It seems much better
Richard> to simply count it as a possible reason to vote for someone
Richard> else this year.  I'm happy with Bruce as project leader, but
Richard> I worry that the project might come to depend on him too
Richard> much.

	That, sir, is your riht. Imposing term limits on me (as a
 voter) is not. (Oh, I'll never run for any office. I don't have the
 right temprament).

	manoj
--
 "I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid" the artificial person, from
 _Aliens_