Re: Policy Weekly Issue #4/10: Filesystem location of non-english documentation files

> I only view disadvantages with this solution:
>
> a) users can't change the directory to their own <language>
>    documentations tree.

the documentation is provided on a per package basis, not on a per
language base. moste people will search documentation for package pkg,
and look if their language is available.

not many users will look : what documentation is available in my
language, and then read some of them.

> b) no gains, since users who change the directory to /usr/doc/<pkg>
>    already find non-english documentations with the links:

of course we could cross link both solutions. but linking from a to b is
as good as linking from b to a. i think lots of symlinks are the worst
case.

> c) /usr/doc/LANG/<language> policy is much more the
>    continuation of the classic /usr/man/<language> or
>    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/<language> filesystem policy.

man pages have an automatic search system, that will take care of the
language.

there is no such search system, that will handle "README",
"README.debian" "changelog.debian" etc.

man pages have also an apropos to get a listing of what is available.

with documentation i only have ls /usr/doc/pkg (or dpkg -L pkg |grep
/usr/doc). with docs splited into several trees this will be more
difficult.

> CS>It is the maintainers job to decide which form to be used for a specific
> CS>documentation file.
>
> I'm not sure that we need <territory>...

only for the worst case.
example where we need it : swiss, germany and austria have different
isdn standards and charge systems. so i will need different dirs for
isdnutils. (ok, only theorie. in praxis, there is one long README file,
but this could change some day).

> I prefer this order:

>      /usr/doc/LANG/<language>/<pkg>/
>      /usr/doc/<pkg>/