Re: Forwarded: RFC: New source packaging format

Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> writes:

> I've just repackaged hello using my new proposed source packaging
> scheme which does away with dpkg-source and uses just dpkg and
> standard .deb files instead.

Oh no!  This sounds suspiciously like RedHat's method!  I don't like
it one bit.  Here's why:

1) /usr has to be a read-write partition in order to compile programs.
   /usr, by definition, should not have this requirement (for NFS
   mounts and the like).
2) Users would have to have explicit write permissions to /usr/src to
   compile things for themselves.
3) Unpacking to the current directory is messy.
4) Diffs are not distributed alongside, having some potentially
   nasty implications wrt our free software standards.
5) Others cannot get our diffs or sources without installing dpkg.

While I agree that the concept of a "make world" like FreeBSD has
certainly is enticing, and source dependencies may be a good idea, I
see no reason to ditch our nice current system for a system not
designed to hold sources.

--
John Goerzen          | Running Debian GNU/Linux (www.debian.org)
Custom Programming    | Debian GNU/Linux is a free replacement for