Re: Forwarded: RFC: New source packaging format

kaih@khms.westfalen.de (Kai Henningsen) writes:

> And when people tell you technical points where your proposal is flawed,
> those are "knee-jerk reactions", "uninformed opinions", and "aesthetics"?
>
> Something is very wrong here.

My fault.  I was a bit stressed, and didn't take criticism very well.

(I am still haven't seen a "deep" flaw in my proposal though)

I guess I am more of computer geek than a "people person" - I tend
to be a bit harsh when I don't agree with somebody's assertion.  I must
have picked up some of my bad attitude from my dad (he's a cop).  :-)

> >  3) What if the upstream source comes in multiple files?  How do you
> >     propose changing dpkg-source to use pristine-sources for that?
>
> There's a quite obvious way to do that. Do we _want_ this, though?

I do.  I have some potential applications that absolutely require it.

> There are two cases: original source that is just packed up in several
> parts, and original source from completely different origins.
>
> In the first case, it could well be argued that this is a case of "weird
> source packaging", and we actually want to repack those sources anyway.
> (This is debatable, of course.)

It goes against the purpose of pristine sources and verifiability.  But
dpkg-source could be adapted to handle it.

> In the second case, this has some obvious problems. (For example, we now
> have two different version numbers ...)

With my proposed method, the src-deb-*.deb file can have different
version numbers than any of the src-orig-*.deb files it depends upon.

> >  4) Can you describe an algorithm for an auto-bootstrap compilation
> >     mechanism in detail?
>
> That's a completely unrelated problem.

True.

> > I've already demonstrated that my proposal can do all of these things.
>
> Actually, I don't think you have demonstrated 4.

I believe I did outline an algorithm in a reply to Bruce on debian-devel.
Of course, it ought to be written up in a nicer manner.

> Besides, dpkg-source fulfills some other design criterions which your
> proposal doesn't fulfill, and which, IMHO, are a lot more important.
>
> You might want to read the discussion when the current source format was
> invented. It was on -devel, but I unfortunately don't remember when.
>
> It has all the arguments on why dpkg-source isn't built on top of dpkg,
> for example; why using .tar.gz/.diff.gz/.dsc is the way to go, and so on.
> And it did convince most people.

This discussion happened before I started running Debian (June '96).  Our
mail archive only goes back to August '96.  A quick grep through the
archive mostly turns up messages talking about dpkg-source problems.

My proposal does allow us to do things we want to do right now, whereas
the dpkg-source enhancements are still vapourware.  I just hope everybody
realizes that.  I also accept the fact that people may not want to use
a working format, as they are holding out for something potentially better,
or more familiar.  (Microsoft has learned this lesson well)

Anyways - I'm orphaning my proposal.  I may write up a report and
investigate some alternatives to dpkg for my own purposes (primarily for
user-space problems) - but I'm not going to press the issue of changing
the way Debian makes source packages.  (That was never really my intention,
anyways)

Cheers,

 - Jim