Re: Tutorial #2: using dpkg in user space

[ Here goes my 2nd try - 2.0.31 has froze twice on me today, arrgh. ]

Mark Eichin <eichin@cygnus.com> writes:

> I don't think I'll find any src-orig-*.deb files on prep.  My point
> was that I can take the .tar.gz files that I *do* find everywhere and
> just use them, without having to go through more [potentially
> error-prone] steps to repackage them first.

A src-orig-*.deb file is a simple wrapper for the tarballs + any extra
information you want to add to the description.  It would be possible
to wrap one around a tarball with a single command.  There would be no
possibilities for errors.

> > OK - I have definitely gotten the message that dpkg is "hands off" when
> > it comes to using for  purposes other than what it was originally
>
> Hmm.  I guess this is a little stronger message than I was intending,
> but it's probably close enough :-)  Since you put it that way, yeah,
> dpkg is *not* a general purpose unix-style utility.  How's this for a
> poor analogy - sed is a wrench, awk is a hammer, perl is vicegrips
> (you know, "the wrong tool for every job"...) dpkg is more like, lets
> see, brake-caliper-retractors? (a precision tool that is really only
> useful for one thing, but it's the tool you *have* to have for that
> job...)  I'm quite convince that you won't find a tool that *does* the
> same thing that dpkg does -- because basically dpkg "handles a ton of
> details for debian".  You might (I hope), find a tool that does a more
> generic form of what you're looking for (once you define it a little
> more generically.)

I was hoping dpkg would develop into more of a standard system service
where debian-specific functionality would just be additional modules.
Unfortunately, my hopes have been dashed.  I now realize that dpkg has
only ever aspired to be "throw away code", so I should look elsewhere
for a more generalized "service".  I understand the FSF is developing
a packaging system for the Hurd - that might be a more appropriate
choice as it is likely to be designed more as an OS service.

> Now you *might* want to look at the work of Brian Bartholomew, with
> pgfs and host-gen (there was an article by him about them in the last
> linux journal, or *maybe* the one before that...) not because they do
> anything like what you want, but because they do interesting things
> involving databases of pathnames (which, when it comes down to it, is
> the generic issue here, I think) and using more general purpose
> tools... so you might find more useful widgets there.

I am familiar with Brian's work - I batted quite a few emails back and
forth talking about some pretty abstract stuff (about a year and half ago).

Cheers,

 - Jim