Re: abandoning the rules of discourse

On 24 Oct 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Joost> The last time there was an issue, I actually enjoyed the fun to
> Joost> read digests and I frankly cannot imagine a situation where
> Joost> stronger action is needed ( except maybe for people posting
> Joost> their kernels - I wouldn't want a digest of that. )
>
> 	On the other hand, you were not the one being insulted, were
>  you?  No doubt it is extremely edifying to the bystanders, but it is
>  less fun for the people bearing the brunt of the abuse (I'm learning
>  from the media, I think).

I agree with you. Yes, I can imagine. It is hard for the people who have
to put up with the abusive people being quite randomly accusating.

It is horrible to be put down publicly in such a manner and very damaging
to the project because people will become hesitant to stand up for what
they feel concerned about when their personal involvement leads to
personal damage.

But still I believe that creating a situation in which there are rules to
be enforced would be even worse, though in a more invisible and subtle
way. These rules have to be enforced in real situations, with real people.

That is essentially different from this situation, where the problem is
regarded in a much more abstract manner. Please do not underestimate the
amount of emotional involvement that will happen when situations occur
where decisions have to be made and the amount of damage that will be done
by the changing attitude it infers.

In the current situation everybody is more or less forced to take on a
very forgiving attitude. Once in a while that takes a little effort, but
on the whole avoids the build-up of escalations.

If the situation were such that there is always a punisher with a
punishment around the corner, almost everybody will take on a much
different attitude. Many will feel justified in various degrees to
speak on behalf of what they percieve of "justice".

This leads to a bad atmosphere - which is IMHO one of the worst things
that can happen to Debian, given its nature as a project of volunteers.

Also, someone who has been "formally" punished has in some degree "lost
his face" and will likely evolve different behavioural patterns. His
morale is dent. In a forgiving atmosphere chances higher that he will in
turn contribute to a better atmosphere.

The "enforcer" mindset ( sorry to be polarizing here myself ) is IMHO
ultimately short-sightedness and in the end works counterproductive I'm
afraid.

Conversely, the person withstanding abuse without invocing enforcement
of "law" will have a rise of confidence, morale and capability.

Cheers,

Joost