Re: RFC: New source packaging format

Hi,
>>"Jim" == Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> writes:

>> Now that dpkg-source is able to manage untouched pristine source
>> when it is well-behaved, this is a step backwards.

Jim> Why backwards?  Maybe a horizontal step.  Actually, I think it's
Jim> a bit better, since you can have multiple pristine sources, you
Jim> don't have to rename them, and there is a logical place to store
Jim> additional information about them (such as where they came from).
Jim> Plus a single upstream source package can be easily shared
Jim> amongst several debian packages.

	Umm, but if I have to have Debian specific software installed
 (or know gory details of the internal structure) in order to check
 the upstream source. Like, I can't just upload the Deb file to the
 dec alpha at work on a thick pipe to the net, check the upstream
 source (like md5sum it), in order to put it on a tape to take home.

	I can't just drop in the upstream untainted sources and make
 things go.

	I should not have to run Debian specific tools to unpack the
 sources.

	manoj
--
 "I HATE arbitrary limits, especially when they're small." Stephen
 Savitzky