Policy Weekly Issue #4/8: Dates in package versions

Topic 8: Dates in package versions

STATE: APPROVAL

Some upstream sources use a `snapshot date' instead of a real version
number. As these `dates' are used as version id for dpkg it is useful to
make them all use the same format. (It doesn't matter if our version
number _looks_ different than the one from the upstream source when a date
is used.  For example, everyone should be able to recognize that `96May05'
is the same as `1996.05.05'.)

Note, that our intention is not to make the upstream maintainer change
his/her version numbers. We only try to get unique version numbers within
our distribution.

I suggest that the following text will be added to the Debian Packaging
Manual.

     When choosing a version number for the .orig source, you should first
     try to respect the original version number if possible.

     If you are unable to determine the version number, you may use the
     date in which the program was written. When using a date as version
     number, use always the YYYY.MM.DD format (i.e. 4 digits for the year,
     2 for the month and 2 for the day).

     If you are quite sure that upstream releases are monthly (e.g. for
     e-magazines), you can use also the short form: YYYY.MM

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz
           / o \__   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
           !   ___;   schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de
           \  /