Re: abandoning the rules of discourse

On 23 Oct 1997, Kai Henningsen wrote:

> > Bruce Perens wrote:
> >
> > Disrespectful language and obscentity disqualify only those that use
> > them. Ignoring them is the right thing to do, IMO.
>
> IMO, it depends entirely on the situation. I've seen some "disrespectful
> language and obscentity" that didn't detract at all from the respect I had
> for the people who wrote them. Some of it was even directed at me.

That requires some intelligence and maturity. Some of us are such
crybabies that we are easily offended and then refuse to consider anything
at all. A childish cyber-tantrum then ensues.

> Of course, the opposite has also happened. I don't think you can capture
> this in a simple rule.

Sometimes an idiot gets a much better audience than he deserves by kissing
ass. Election results in the U.S. substantiate this.

> > I have noticed some interesting ideas in some messages, but their
> > language convinced me that they were not worth of my attention.

Bruce, it's a bit arrogant to think that everyone will use the 'language'
that meets your standards. Do you presume to be so 'refined' that you can
eliminate an interesting idea from consideration because it comes from a
non-conformist? Which words meet your approval? You called me an asshole
on a debian list a while back. Is that word okay to use but not others?

If we are going to have censorship, please let me be the censor. I promise
to ignore all complaints and take no corrective measures.

Language is not the problem. The user who sends repeated 'test' messages
to a list is far more annoying than a rude flamer.

pw