Re: Packages that require enormous amounts of source

Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu> writes:

> > Maybe you could use the orig.tar.gz from other packages.
>
> Right, that's a good idea; however, it doesn't solve the basic
> problem of policy requiring the full source.

Does policy really require this?  If so, that's silly, IMHO.  Take
g77, for example; currently it requires unpacked gcc source to be
built.  I think this is perfectly reasonable and would be seriously
hacked off if I had to bring back 7Mb of redundant source code home on
floppies to satisfy some whimsical policy requirement.  (And I know
Galen wouldn't be to happy about having to upload it either)

Personally I can never remember reading such a requirement in policy
and I'd be happy not to be proved wrong on that score.

--
James