US Debian Crypto Policy - Possible solution?

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997 16:41:28 -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:

>Go ahead and do it! I'd really like to have another site in the US carrying it.
>Canwe modify dpkg-ftp to be able to access multiple sites? I.e. we have another
>field for the crypto site.

I've thought of this also. I would like to see a policy change of sites that that are
unable to carry it have a dummy files of some sort so it at least people know it's
available.

Hey here's a thought. How about a wrapper script to do it? Eveybody should be
able to be happy with that.

Example: [crypto-package]-wrapper.deb will be kept at all debian sites. It will be
'dselectable'.

When it goes to install, it will bring up a disclaimer about the supposed legalities
for the package, etc, etc.
Do you understand? (N/y)
It will then present a list of ftp sites to grab the package from.
Which site to get the package? (1, 2, 3, etc)
Then it will ftp it and run dpkg on it. It will be nearly seemless from dselect.

Doing this would be simplistic to create and maintain, as well fit right into the
current scheme.

What does everyone think? We could do it with a wrapper-package at all sites, or
just list the package at all sites, and sites that do not wish to carry it just install the
wrapper instead.

If we can agree that this will be done I'll sit down and start making something with
perl. I think we could get away with one generic wrapper, that just gets renamed for
the different packages.
http://www.psychosis.com/emc/		Elite MicroComputers   908-541-4214
http://www.psychosis.com/linux-router/	Linux Router Project