Re: US Debian Crypto Policy - Project leadership position

Dave Cinege wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 97 11:00 PDT, Bruce Perens wrote:
>
> >From: "Dave Cinege" <dcinege@psychosis.com>
> >> Is that you making this decision, or has it been discussed?
> >
> >It's been discussed more than once in the past, a consensus was reached
> >and clear policy was set, and the policy manual reflects this. Thus, I
> >felt _very_ confident to make the call.
>
> I've raised valid points that require some good answers.

Not only is it Debian Policy, currently, like it or not, it is US *Law*.
I personally think that the law is stupid, but I still try to abide by
the law...

> I hear by pose the question to those standing to (hopefully) take your job later this
> year.
>
> Ian Jackson, how do you feel about this?
> Anyone else that plans to run should also make their voices heard.

Whatever their view, as a Corporation in the United States, SPI *can not*
condone breaking the law, no matter how stupid it is..

> >> My logs show that the treasury dept has been to my webpage several times;
> >
> >I'd recommend a certified letter to the appropriate officials via U.S. Mail
> >over a notice on your web page. Unfortunately, we don't know if those Treasury
> >folks are reading your pages for entertainment from the mail room.
>
> Must you make it a point to be a prick at all times Bruce?

Somehow, a famous saying about a pot and a kettle springs to mind...

Tim

--
 (work) sailer@bnl.gov / (home) tps@buoy.com - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
                    "You may be right, I may be crazy"