US Debian Crypto Policy Re: Why no listing in packages for ssh, apache-ssl, etc. (And no US sites?)

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997 13:24:23 +0000 (   ), Manong Dibos wrote:

>> Is that you making this decision, or has it been discussed?
>
>It has been thoroughly discussed.  The Debian project proper doesnt need
>the hastle.
>
>> It would just make me feel good to add this item to my list of 'daily felonies'
while I
>> still can. I think it would also make a lot of people in the project fell real good
about
>> openly supporting me (and others who should dare) in my effort in doing so.
>
>I would happily support you, because I know you are standing up for
>what is right...  But then I would feel incredibly guilty when you
>actually went to jail, and here is me who has been egging you on, and yet
>I cant even help you out with the legal bills or in any other way.

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. What
I can do, I should do and, with the help of God I will do!"  -  Everett Hale

To some people it is more important to live their lives in a certain way, then the
length of which they will be allowed to live it. At this point in my life, that is where I
stand.

I am a big boy and know full well what I am doing. I don't demand or ask that the
entire project do as I do, but I find it morally distasfull that many would rather turn
their backs on such actions then openly embrace them for the spirit in which they
were performed. What a bunch of sheep.....this type of ideoglogy is why laws like
this exist in the first place.

I often come in contact with companies making crypto openly available on their
FTP sites with nothing more then a disclaimer. I feel the Debian archives should do
the same. Of course if someone who is donating FTP service doesn't want it, we
shouldn't try to force them to host it, but the FTP sites that ARE willing should be
allowed, and should be openly acknowledged.

Again this is coming back to arguments I have raised previously about Bruce
forming a corporation and using the Debian name, and the US centricity off it all.
Linux and Debian is the most international OS their has ever been. People outside
the USA should not have to deal with any of this, but still they have to run around
finding these hidden packages. They are extremely viable, most often desired, and
should a and ought to be part of the complete distribution, even if some US sites
are unable to host them.

IMHO quality of product is diminished without then. Often the crypto packages are
dated and not as well maitained of other 'official' packages, and I feel the reason is
that they are not part of the standard dist. It would be so simple for one person
(those that are willing of course) to maitain both an Apache, and Apache-SSL
version, but  because we have two people doing this they are always playing catch
up with each other.

And this is a perfect example. I was ready to compile in SSL myself until I
'happened' to find there was now a 1.2.0 package for it. Of course the current,
non-SSL apache is 1.2.4 so until their is a chance for an update it doesn't do me a
lot of good. I happened to find this from answer to an inquiry on user. Searches of
the archive bring up nothing, be cause not even dummy link to these fies have
been provided.

>We may all support you morally... But from the majority of us, I think
>thats the only support you'll get.  Just to warn you.  I really respect
>you, and will use your mirror.  But just to let you know.
>
>> I believe that up until the site admin that hosted ftp.debian.org got upity, the
project
>No.  From what I remember, the site admin got a warning letter from the
>NSA.  It was acted on promptly.  NSA boys are not fun to mess around with.

Interesting. I'd like to get the full story on this....I assume it was a blanket
intimidation letter sent out to some big sites. I guess it worked.

>I sympathize with you man, but your country (the US) is a fascist, Nazi
>land, and the army is in training, not to take out enemies, but almost all
>their training now is targetted at putting down rebellions WITHIN the US.
>What kind of country does that?

The land of the taxed and the home of the slave.....
Hey but we don't want the rest of the world to feel left out! We've sent all these
soliders, uhmmm peace keepers to over 100 countries around the world, yes half
the nations on the planet, to help with 'peace keeping' efforts, with their tanks and
rifles. It makes we feel so good that the few taxes they are able to squeeze out of
me, help go to fund the 'world police'.
http://www.psychosis.com/emc/		Elite MicroComputers   908-541-4214
http://www.psychosis.com/linux-router/	Linux Router Project