Re: tar files in example dirs

Christian Schwarz wrote:

> Fabrizio, could you show us any packages where you consider the
> existance of a .tar.gz a bug?

I don't consider this existence a bug.
As I said, if I would, I'd raised bugs.
I was just wandering to hear opinions about the possibility of having
the policy say something about this. Our policy is quite detailed about
what you can or cannot do with docs files, which can or cannot be
compressed, etc.

I made several examples of files that coould be better (IMHO) be listed
in the dpkg database or Contents file, for searching purposes, or
cleaning (how many users have untarred magicfilter's filters in place?).

I don't think we should wait a flame around a bug to start a policy
discussion. I realized instead that policy is considered an intrusion in
maintaner's life, not a help for them as I consider it.

fabrizio