Re: tar files in example dirs

> joost witteveen wrote:
> >
> > Then don't untar them in place!
>

> I don't think that tarring files under /usr/doc/<package> is a good
> thing to do.

So you agree with me then, that you never are likely to run into
the problem you mentioned (dpkg not knowing what files are under /usr/doc/*/*).

> What would be the purpose of permitting such a thing?
> example files are there to be read or even browsed with your browser.
> Please think that those tarballs contain text files.

I don't know what those tarballs cantain. I know that I used it
once (a tarball in /usr/doc) as an example of something very
specific to one goal, so that uses can untar the hole thing
in /etc/package/whatever. The tarball didn't contain documentation,
but more like an example of how to setup something. I think
this can be usefull (OK it _could_ be in /usr/doc/examples/directory/../../..),
but I don't think this makes it any more clear).

So, really could you provide us with an argument of why
it's bad to have .tar.gz files in /usr/doc/package/examples, as
you agree that your original point (it confuses dpkg) is not
likely to be very valid.

> > You seem to have the habit of doing a lot of things as root,
>
> I've never logged in as root since the installation of the box, if this
> could be of _any_ interest in the discussion.

Well, if you aren't root when you try to get info from /usr/doc, you
cannot confuse dpkg by untaring it inplace. So, you will not have
the problem you mentioned.

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj