Re: /usr/X11R6 [a suggestion]

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Joey Hess wrote:

> > Wait.  Three cases:
[... snip ...]

> It makes sense to me. Then if you are not running X, you can remove
> /usr/X11R6/bin from your PATH.

	Zactly.  Keeps your path (and in the case of tcsh or
bash,  your hashed-list-of-commands-in-path) from becoming cluttered.
	Also,  consider:
	Let's say I have two machines,  one running X,  and one not,  and
a fileserver.  I can nfs-export (assuming configs are the same, etc)
/usr/X11* to the machine running X,  and get ALL the programs that run
under X11.   In the same way,  by *not* exporting /usr/X11* to the other
machine,  I've also managed to keep *ALL* programs that require X off it.
Whereas if X11 programs are scattered all through the tree,  I have to nfs
a bunch of little directories,  keep all the symlinks updated,  etc. - a
pain.

						Will

			        harpo@udel.edu
			       lowe@cis.udel.edu
			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/
Good Idea: 	Feeding Stray Cats in the Park.
Bad Idea:	Feeding Stray Cats in the park ... to a bear.