Re: /usr/X11R6 [a suggestion]

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> my opinion : /usr/X11* exists for historic reasons. the x11 system (in
> our case xfree86) and related files (e.g. window manager) should go into
> /usr/X11R6. but i see no need to place everything in there, only because
> it needs x11.
Wait.  Three cases:

1) Something that runs *without* X (eg. on console)

	goes in /usr/bin

2) Something that runs *only* in X (eg. Gimp,  KDE,  rxvt)

	goes in /usr/X11*

3) a) Something that works either way (Xemacs,  clisp) but is only *one*
	binary (the same executable runs in X and on the console).

	goes in /usr/bin

   b) something that has two pieces,  one of which runs on consoles and
	the other of which runs in X (dos vs Xdos)

	the console part goes in /usr/bin
	the X part goes in /usr/X11*

This makes sense to me,  but likely not to others.

                     					Will

			        harpo@udel.edu
			       lowe@cis.udel.edu
			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/
Good Idea: 	Feeding Stray Cats in the Park.
Bad Idea:	Feeding Stray Cats in the park ... to a bear.