Re: Policy Suggestion - User Configuration Files

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003 03:28:40 +0000
Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
> In other words, somebody will be told "that bug's fixed in the
> development version of this package upstream", so they go and try it
> out. But, hey presto, not only does it ignore the configuration set up
> while using the Debian package, but it also creates some new stuff in
> the home directory that we had hypothetically promised to keep
> pristine. I think this would be completely unacceptable. To avoid
> this, we'd have to convince every affected upstream to do this before
> we could implement it across the board. That's just not going to
> happen without some momentum behind it, and general agreement from the
> community, not just on some obscure Debian list, that it's a good
> idea.

I agree quite wholeheatedly with the above. I do think it's a decent
idea, though. I have a much easier time navigating /etc than I do $HOME.

That said, some form of concensus has to start *somewhere*. We have an
army of DDs who regularily talk to their upstreams; if we come to a
consensus here that it's a good idea, then we can start talking to them.

(No, I wouldn't suggest changing Policy or trying to implement it before
almost everybody upstream starts doing it on their own. But let's try
and keep this thread focused on whether it's a good idea or not.)