Re: Policy Suggestion - User Configuration Files

su, 05-01-2003 kello 03:21, Jamin W. Collins kirjoitti:
> So, what do you folks think?  Would it be worth while to have a Debian
> policy regarding the placement of user configuration files in a
> configuration sub directory of the user's home dir?

Speaking as a user, I'd hate this change. It would mean, for example,
that if my $HOME is NFS-mounted on several machines, running different
versions of Debian, on some hosts programs would look for $HOME/.foo, on
others they would look for $HOME/etc/foo. This isn't going to work all
that well. If I had a time machine, I might go back to the 1970's and
tell the Unix creators to create $HOME/etc for each user, but by now
it's too late.

Still speaking as a user, I'm not annoyed by a dotfile per program I
use. I'm much more annoyed by all the useless dotfiles, created by
programs that I run once, and never again, without even having saved a
configuration, or done anything else that would require the program to
save state.