Re: Policy ambiguity regarding control files

>>"Junichi" == Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp> writes:

 Junichi> In my reading of policy, policy doesn't currently allow it.
 Junichi> Either those packages need to be fixed, or
 Junichi> policy. I don't think 2% of packages not following policy
 Junichi> should be enough to change policy, considering the usefulness
 Junichi> of simple tools like grep and sed.

	From what I recollect of the discussions way back when, the
 intent is that each header field is logically a single line of
 characters comprising the field name, the colon, and the field body.
 For convenience however, the field body portion of a header field can
 be split into a multiple line representation. The general rule is
 that wherever white space can be folded, a CRLF may be inserted
 before any WSP.

	So, each header line is logically a single line, phisically it
 may be broken into multiple lines with leading spaces.

	I agree that either policy needs to be clarified, or changed.

	If the consensus is to change the policy, then this is
 underscores the dfifferences that policy may impose on the interface
 that packages have with the packaging system, as opposed to dpkg
 documentation.

	manoj
 Date: 23 Feb 90 19:01:21 GMT From: merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal
 Schwartz) format STDOUT = @<<< @<<<<<< @<<< @<<<<<, $Just, $another,
 $Perl, $hacker
 . for("Just","another","Perl","hacker"){eval"\$$_=\$_;";};write;