Re: m5i5

On 2002-06-02 at 16:12, Michael C Alonzo wrote:

> Hi is the m515 supported by the palm tools in debian? im planning to buy
> one and i want to make sure that it will run on my system. any problems
> so far?

Michael,

Yes, just about! But you'll have to do a lot of work... so be
prepared.

These steps worked for me:

- Download and compile Kernel 2.4.18 with USB support and the
visor driver. However, you'll either have to insert two lines
in the visor driver source code or patch the kernel to
2.4.19-pre19 using the patches from kernel.org. This is because
the driver doesn't yet have the ID number for the m515 because
it's so new. I manually modified the driver. If you want to
know how, let me know.

- Install the appropriate devices in /dev (instructions on
Jpilot front page).

- Compile the latest beta of pilot-link (0.10.99 I believe)

- Compile the latest version of Jpilot (0.99.2 I believe)

And that should all work! There are debugging methods for each
stage so if it does go wrong first time (likely) there are ways
of finding out what goes wrong.

Give the above a try --- if you have problems, let me know and
I'll try to help. If you've never compiled kernels before, take
a look at the debian package kernel-package --- that should get
you started.

Andrew.

--
Andrew Ferrier