Re: malsync/AvantGo + a few other things

Rev Simon Rumble <simon@rumble.net> writes:
> I'm wondering if any of the packages I've installed for the Pilot
> grab and hang onto the serial port.  I've installed all the Pilot
> related packages.

One of them probably does.  I'm not sure which one, but I would
suspect either JPilot or PilotManager, since they are both complete
sync kits (there is also Pyrite, but I'm the author and I know it
definitely does not hang onto the port when it's not in use).

Anyway, press the HotSync button without running any pilot-related app
first, and see what happens...

> Are there any non "wannabebillgateswithoutowningthedistribution" (AKA
> shareware) document readers for the Pilot?  Currently using iSilo but
> would rather something free in both senses of the term.

Yes, CSpotRun is not only free, but small and fast too:

  http://www.32768.com/bill/palmos/cspotrun/index.html

It is just a basic Doc reader, without any fancy formatting, but it
gets the job done well enough that you might find yourself keeping it
on your pilot even if you also use another Doc reader or editor.

And along the same lines, you might want to take a look at Plucker,
which is a free AvantGo-like application:

  http://plucker.gnu-designs.com/

Have fun,
--Rob

--