Re: Scanners

The picture you sent me looks way better than anything I got with my CM1312.

I'm learning towards the Epson V30 right now. I've read a few reviews and apparently Epson releases their drivers under the GPL on a website calls avasys.

jhs

Quoting man-d <man-d@vif.ca>:

Stuckey a écrit :
I'm looking to purchase a scanner. I've looked at the supported hardware list on http://www.sane-project.org though there are many listed there and I know nothing about scanners.

Perhaps someone here can recommend a model or brand with which they have personal experience.

Thanks,
J. Stuckey

Back to the list. Sorry I answered on your email address.

My opinion: try to find one tested and supported at
sane-project.org for example and look on the web for more details: availability, price.
This database is here to help us make a better choice for working devices.

Did you find something about the scanner you actually have on the web/lists ?
If your current HP scanner definitely don't work with Debian, not supported (drivers, firmwares...) what is it with the next debian release ?

For example: my girlfriend's "photosmart all in one" HP printer/scanner is cheap for photography and costs 100$. Last year, I updated to debian testing to get the printer/scanner system to work (newer free debian printer driver package [hplip]). This printer/scanner combo is not part of my photography workflow but here is what I quickly get with the scanner and a partly damaged photo: http://cjoint.com/?cgofuM3aoV
I only set the resolution, nothing else.

Why not try to find a reseller you can ask for returning products before buying one ? If you are very carefull with packaging and hardware it's possible to return it after few hours/days and get money back.

--
man-d