Re: RAW processing

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 12:50:19PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 08:45:16PM +0000, Simon Huggins wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > So what do people use for RAW processing and how do people make ufraw
> > bareable?  I find its interface a bit kludgey at times and its initial
> > insistence to save the previously applied settings annoyed me til I
> > turned that off.
> >
> > dcraw -e is neat for previews for me.
> >
> > At the moment I go:
> > 	-> RAW photos from camera via thunar (+ hal/dbus automounting etc)
> > 	-> dcraw -e and a check of which ones I want to process in
> > 	   gqview
> > 	-> rm *.thumb.jpg and then ufraw on the RAW files I do want to
> > 	   process.
> > 	-> Sometimes I then rotate and crop in the gimp.
> > 	-> Then I convert -resize them keeping the processed full sized
> > 	   JPEGs
> > 	-> Then I bung them in postr and stick them on flickr (I'm
> > 	   shufgy there)
>
> What I currently do is simple: "import it into digiKam, apply tags, and
> go from there". Both digiKam and f-spot do have support for RAW, which
> is more than enough for me to preview them if necessary, and to manage
> stuff as well. If I do want to do some modifications, gimp-ufraw is
> quite helpful.

My camera sticks a jpeg preview at the top of the raws, so I:

- copy all of my pictures from the card to a queue directory
- run a script which extracts each jpeg preview from each raw
  (using a combination of tail and convert hax)
- use the exif data in the preview jpegs to rename all of the files
  with a timestamp
- use the exif data to sort the files into date directories (eg
  pictures/2007/december/03)
- Preview and select raws to edit at my leisure (using ufraw plugin
  to gimp for editing).

--
-><- Nick Rusnov
-><- http://nick.industrialmeats.com