Re: on/offline picture management

On to, 2007-12-20 at 14:26 +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Like I said, I use digiKam for picture management. That works, for the
> most part, except for one little detail: it requires way more diskspace
> than what I'm willing to give it on my laptop.
>
> So I've decided to store my pictures on my home server (which has 500G
> of RAID1 space), and mount that using NFS. This works, except that I now
> can no longer manage my pictures unless I'm in the same LAN as my server
> is.
>
> Anyone have any better ideas?

I've been thinking about the same problem. On the one hand, doing it on
my laptop would be convenient when travelling, but on the other hand,
disk space issues make this complicated, especially since I intend to
take lots of pictures in the coming year. My solution is to simply not
do any particular management of pictures while I'm not at home. I'll
also not be doing any editing of them on my laptop, unless I really
must: at home I have a nice, fast desktop machine that is several times
faster than the laptop.

What I'll do when travelling is to copy the pictures from memory cards
to the laptop, and then when I get back home, to import them into
whatever photo management software I end up using. (I'm still in the
head-scratching stage of building my workflow.)

So I'm afraid I have no solution for Wouter. But perhaps keeping things
simple might be the best option?

If one were to use plain filesystem for photo management, using unison
or some other two-way syncing solution might be an option, if there's
one that allows keeping only part of the photo collection on the laptop.
A wild idea might be to divide the photo directory by month, and keep
each month as a separate module in a suitable version control system
(git?) and check out only the necessary modules to the laptop?