Re: janitor importing upstream release

On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 21:27:34 +0000, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:

> > The behaviour comes, AFAICS, from
> > https://salsa.debian.org/jelmer/janitor.debian.net/blob/master/k8s/policy.conf#L313
> >
> > Not sure how/why pkg-perl got special cased here; it might be an
> > honour :) but 5dec4fa only says "Update proposal description for
> > fresh-*".
> >
> > As Jonas considers this behaviour as problematic and I'm unconvinced,
> > I suggest to wait for other opinions in the group and drop those
> > lines from policy.conf if there is no support and consensus for it in
> > a couple of days.
> My apologies for these - it was not my intention to enable that,
> certainly not in this way - I've reverted the change to policy.conf
> that snuck in with the template change.

Thanks!

> Background is that I am indeed looking at automatically importing
> new upstream releases - not just for perl but across Debian. There are
> two aspects to this - both discovering where upgrades can happen
> but also making freshly built packages available (with caveats, of
> course).

Right, I had forgotten about the second part of this idea.

> (Whether this is the kind of thing that could eventually migrate to
> direct pushes rather than MRs in some cases, I don't know - I think
> that'd would have to be a request from the maintainer like it has been
> for other "campaigns" and it's skipping a few steps to even be
> considering that at this point)

Yeah, let's see how it develops.

> And yes, you are special :P

<watch collective blushing here>

> In terms of feedback so far, I wasn't aware of dpt-orig-import

It's just a wrapper around gbp-import; relevant in this context is
that it adds a changelog entry after the import (in order to have the
new version in d/changelog)

> and I
> do think for at least some of the version manipulation the business
> logic can be fixed (at least to know when to error out). That said,
> if this isn't useful then I can also just do the builds but not create
> the MRs.

I guess we can try and see what it looks like.

> > Jelmer, on a related note (as I was looking at policy.conf), I
> > noticed that the janitor doesn't add anything to d/changelog anymore
> > since, well, at least half a year, although DEB_UPDATE_CHANGELOG is
> > still set to "update" for pkg-perl in policy.conf. (The problem here
> > is that changes may never end up in the shipped d/changelog if
> > someone updates the file after the janitor's commits and this person
> > or someone else later runs (gbp-)dch). No idea if some software
> > changed in the background and/or if 124df13 is connected (probably
> > not, I noticed the missing entries at least in September), or
> > something else :)
> I'm not sure what's happening there but let me investigate. Let me
> look into that and follow up here.

Great, thank you!

 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe
   `-