Re: janitor importing upstream release

On Tue, 22 Feb 2022 23:16:14 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

1) moving to our discussion list
2) cc'ing Jelmer as the janitor maintainer
3) fullquote for context

> Apparently janitor now auto-imports new upstream releases:
> https://salsa.debian.org/perl-team/modules/packages/libcode-tidyall-perl/-/commit/1f41595
>
> I think that is problematic: It cannot guess how exactly new upstream
> releases should integrated with git repo (upstream does not always tag
> their releases, and some Debian developers was to sync upstream git tags
> others don't).
>
> Also, in the concrete case of libcode-tidyall-perl it failed to include
> the repackaging suffix.

I also noticed that the janitor now tries to import & push new
upstream releases, and I'm at least skeptical about the usefulness of
this feature; either it fails or it succeeds but then it doesn't save
any actual work over dpt-import-orig or similar (ok, I guess the idea
is that it shows maintainers "hey I tried and it works, go ahead
without having to fear troubles").

The behaviour comes, AFAICS, from
https://salsa.debian.org/jelmer/janitor.debian.net/blob/master/k8s/policy.conf#L313

Not sure how/why pkg-perl got special cased here; it might be an
honour :) but 5dec4fa only says "Update proposal description for
fresh-*".

As Jonas considers this behaviour as problematic and I'm unconvinced,
I suggest to wait for other opinions in the group and drop those
lines from policy.conf if there is no support and consensus for it in
a couple of days.

Jelmer, on a related note (as I was looking at policy.conf), I
noticed that the janitor doesn't add anything to d/changelog anymore
since, well, at least half a year, although DEB_UPDATE_CHANGELOG is
still set to "update" for pkg-perl in policy.conf. (The problem here
is that changes may never end up in the shipped d/changelog if
someone updates the file after the janitor's commits and this person
or someone else later runs (gbp-)dch). No idea if some software
changed in the background and/or if 124df13 is connected (probably
not, I noticed the missing entries at least in September), or
something else :)

 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe
   `-