Re: janitor importing upstream release

Hi Jonas, Gregor,

On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 04:40:58PM +0100, gregor herrmann wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2022 23:16:14 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > Apparently janitor now auto-imports new upstream releases:
> > https://salsa.debian.org/perl-team/modules/packages/libcode-tidyall-perl/-/commit/1f41595
> >
> > I think that is problematic: It cannot guess how exactly new upstream
> > releases should integrated with git repo (upstream does not always tag
> > their releases, and some Debian developers was to sync upstream git tags
> > others don't).
> >
> > Also, in the concrete case of libcode-tidyall-perl it failed to include
> > the repackaging suffix.
>
> I also noticed that the janitor now tries to import & push new
> upstream releases, and I'm at least skeptical about the usefulness of
> this feature; either it fails or it succeeds but then it doesn't save
> any actual work over dpt-import-orig or similar (ok, I guess the idea
> is that it shows maintainers "hey I tried and it works, go ahead
> without having to fear troubles").
>
> The behaviour comes, AFAICS, from
> https://salsa.debian.org/jelmer/janitor.debian.net/blob/master/k8s/policy.conf#L313
>
> Not sure how/why pkg-perl got special cased here; it might be an
> honour :) but 5dec4fa only says "Update proposal description for
> fresh-*".
>
> As Jonas considers this behaviour as problematic and I'm unconvinced,
> I suggest to wait for other opinions in the group and drop those
> lines from policy.conf if there is no support and consensus for it in
> a couple of days.
My apologies for these - it was not my intention to enable that,
certainly not in this way - I've reverted the change to policy.conf
that snuck in with the template change.

Background is that I am indeed looking at automatically importing
new upstream releases - not just for perl but across Debian. There are
two aspects to this - both discovering where upgrades can happen
but also making freshly built packages available (with caveats, of
course).

My intent was to start by creating MRs like I have for the other
changes since that provides a good opportunity to get feedback without
changes packages. The bot is not meant to delight rather than
surprise, and that clearly failed here.

(Whether this is the kind of thing that could eventually migrate to
direct pushes rather than MRs in some cases, I don't know - I think
that'd would have to be a request from the maintainer like it has been
for other "campaigns" and it's skipping a few steps to even be
considering that at this point)

And yes, you are special :P
I was going to start with the perl team because of the huge
number of packages and the feedback from the perl team
in the early stages previously has been really helpful.

In terms of feedback so far, I wasn't aware of dpt-orig-import and I
do think for at least some of the version manipulation the business
logic can be fixed (at least to know when to error out). That said,
if this isn't useful then I can also just do the builds but not create
the MRs.

> Jelmer, on a related note (as I was looking at policy.conf), I
> noticed that the janitor doesn't add anything to d/changelog anymore
> since, well, at least half a year, although DEB_UPDATE_CHANGELOG is
> still set to "update" for pkg-perl in policy.conf. (The problem here
> is that changes may never end up in the shipped d/changelog if
> someone updates the file after the janitor's commits and this person
> or someone else later runs (gbp-)dch). No idea if some software
> changed in the background and/or if 124df13 is connected (probably
> not, I noticed the missing entries at least in September), or
> something else :)
I'm not sure what's happening there but let me investigate. Let me
look into that and follow up here.

Cheers,

Jelmer