Re: Finance::Quote Update

Am Sonntag, 7. März 2021, 01:57:11 CET schrieb gregor herrmann:
> On Sat, 06 Mar 2021 09:47:59 +0100, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > Hi Gregor,
>
> Hi Rainer,

Hi Gregor :-)

> > Although it throws quite some errors, the modules relevant for me seem to
> > work
> > (which is not the case in 1.49 release in the Debian repo):
> Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
>
> Could you explain what problems 1.49-1 has?
> I'm asking because there are no bug reports in the Debian BTS about
> it.

I think the users understand if a service breaks, this is an upstream issue
due to a change on the website, not a problem of the Debian package. Therefore
I never even considered to open a bug report against the Debian package.

As an example the VWD module does not work at all anymore since I believe the
entire service is not available anymore.

rd@h370:/usr/share/doc/libfinance-quote-perl/examples$ ./stockdump.pl VWD
LU1136260384
$VAR1 = {
          'LU1136260384source' => 'VWD',
          'LU1136260384errormsg' => 'HTTP error 410 Gone',
          'LU1136260384success' => 0
        };
rd@h370:/usr/share/doc/libfinance-quote-perl/examples$

I did not really find another source for funds for more than one provider in
1.49.

I think here you get the best overview over the problems in the old release:

https://github.com/finance-quote/finance-quote/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aclosed

and fixes for the new release.

> > I think it would be worthwhile to do a proper update by somebody who has
> > some more experience in perl and Debian packaging.
>
> I've imported the 1.50-rc1 tarball into our packaging repo. [0] It
> contains huge changes (might be called a partial rewrite) and took
> some work to get a working package again (e.g. with patches, as
> you noted, and also with dependencies etc.)

Wow, that was super fast. I would not have expected this. I did not understand
that the changes are so massive, I expected that they fixed some modules,
removed some non-working modules (e.g. VWD) and added new working modules
(e.g. Fondsweb).

> Typically I would not upload a release candidate, and I would not
> upload a package with huge changes during the soft freeze.
> OTOH, if 1.49-1 is indeed broken, we might want to take the risks …
>
> https://github.com/finance-quote/finance-quote/issues/173 is also not
> very encouraging …

With the version from experimental, I see this issue as well.

> Maybe I should upload what we have now to experimental to get some
> testing?
> Ok, I just went ahead, and 1.50~rc1-1 is now (module buildds and
> mirror sync) in experimental.

I think that is the perfect solution. Let users experiment with the new
version. I think the ideal solution for this kind of package would be to
supply updates to stable using the stable-backports repository.

> Rainer, do you have a chance to install and test this version?

That is my pleasure. I noticed that it pulls quite a few additional packages:

libcrypt-rc4-perl libdigest-perl-md5-perl libhtml-selector-xpath-perl libhtml-
tokeparser-simple-perl libhtml-treebuilder-libxml-perl libjcode-pm-perl
libole-storage-lite-perl libparse-recdescent-perl libspreadsheet-parseexcel-
perl libspreadsheet-writeexcel-perl libspreadsheet-xlsx-perl
  libtext-trim-perl libunicode-map-perl libuniversal-require-perl libweb-
scraper-perl libyaml-perl

Works nicely here (and all the error messages I saw are gone :-) ):

rd@h370:/usr/share/doc/libfinance-quote-perl/examples$ ./stockdump.pl Fondsweb
LU1136260384
$VAR1 = {
          'LU1136260384method' => 'fondsweb',
          'LU1136260384date' => '03/05/2021',
          'LU1136260384type' => 'fund',
          'LU1136260384isodate' => '2021-03-05',
          'LU1136260384currency' => 'EUR',
          'LU1136260384success' => 1,
          'LU1136260384isin' => 'LU1136260384',
          'LU1136260384nav' => '273.28',
          'LU1136260384year_range' => '353.97 - 72.23',
          'LU1136260384name' => 'green benefit Global Impact Fund P',
          'LU1136260384last' => '273.28'
        };
rd@h370:/usr/share/doc/libfinance-quote-perl/examples$

I also checked within gnucash:

The currency problem you describe above I see as well.

The prices for the funds work well.

In the process I also hit one glitch in Fondsweb.pm, which I reported upstream
(without thinking) and with a proposed fix:

https://github.com/finance-quote/finance-quote/issues/179

So still no Debian bug report ;-)

Many thanks
Rainer