Re: Upstream metadata: Repository-Type field

On Sat, Mar 07, 2020 at 12:32:14PM +0000, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 09:40:33PM +0100, gregor herrmann wrote:
> > On Thu, 05 Mar 2020 10:28:03 +0000, Iain Lane wrote:
> > > Since the discussions on the bug I've learned a
> > > bit more about the upstream metadata spec
> > >   https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamMetadata
> > > I think a slight gap there is that the "Repository:" field is just a
> > > we could add a remote for. To solve that I'm proposing a new
> > > "Repository-Type" field, which would have values like "git, svn, hg,
> > > ...". Opinions?
> >
> > In the perl team we just check if it's a git repo and continue from
> > there:
> > 	if ! GIT_ASKPASS=/bin/true git ls-remote "$REPOURL" >/dev/null 2>&1; then
> >
> > Having to add another field to thousands of files doesn't sound too
> > appealing to me (especially as at least in our case there are hardly
> > any non-git upstream repos involved).
> +1
>
> It would be nice to not fail hard if the upstream repository turns out
> to not be a Git repository, but some other kind of vcs
> (in which case you presumably just want to ignore it?).

Thanks for the feedback! I think in this case I can actually simply try
to fetch the repository and ignore it if it can't be fetched so this
isn't a blocker for me.

I'm not sure what other use-cases there are for this field though, and
if that would work for them. It does feel a bit hard to use in general
without knowing which VCS a URL points to - presumably that's why we
have Vcs-$type in control files.

Iain Lane                                  [ iain@orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney@debian.org ]
Ubuntu Developer                                   [ laney@ubuntu.com ]