use Perl; # Annual meeting of the Debian Perl Group (DebConf20 BoF Report)

Hi,

with my apologies for being so late (at least, we're still in 2020),
here is the BoF report.

On 24/08/2020 01:44, Clément Hermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the BoF will happen on Tuesday, August 25th at 12:00 UTC - that's about 36 hours from now.
>
> The talk page on DebConf20 website is
> https://debconf20.debconf.org/talks/20-use-perl-annual-meeting-of-the-debian-perl-group/

This same page has now a link to the video and the Etherpad archive.

> The Agenda has been prepared on gobby, at the usual place:
> https://gobby.debian.org/export/debconf20/bof/pkg-perl
>
> There is an Etherpad as well, and we might want to switch to that. That would mean copying the content
> from the gobby doc to the pad, and back again after the BoF.
> The pad address is
> https://pad.online.debconf.org/p/20-use-perl-annual-meeting-of-the-debian-perl-gr
> and is also linked from the talk page above.
>
> Since it's undecided, for now the pad advises to use gobby instead. Thoughts/comments/arguments for one or the other welcome!

The Etherpad has been archived (see on the talk page above or on the
gobby document). Its content has been edited and copied over to the
gobby page: thanks gregoa for taking care of it!

Here is it as well. As usual, comments, follow-ups and general food for
thought is more than welcome. :)

---
Organisation
============

Who takes notes? Who monitors (which) IRC channels?
* bittin - Taking Notes (monitoring #debian-perl)
* utkarsh2102 - monitoring #debconf, in case there are any questions.

Welcome, who's here?
====================

Introduce yourself if you like

* bittin
* fsfs
* nodens
* Dom
* gregoa
* cstamas
* toddr
* utkarsh2102
* Yadd
* Etienne Mollier
* kanashiro
* carnil

Team status
===========

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianPerlGroup/Statistics

* Members/committers
* LHF sessions

gregoa announced the numbers and the numbers were discussed.

Future of LHF sessions
======================

* The Meetings are held 17:00 UTC and 19:00 UTC and it changes from
month to month
* Dom suggested to maybe have Video meetings (On Debians Jitsi Instance)
and not only IRC meetings
* Should be held once a month every 21th at 17:00 UTC or 19:00 UTC
* A suggestion was to have them at an earlier timeslot some of the
months (→ to be discussed on the ML)
* Another suggestion was to have LHF Meetings to be about specific
topics to discuss about and work with during a session
* And another suggestion was to make it more interactive. → utkarsh2102
to post to the mailinglist directly about that

Sprints
=======

* Online Sprint May 2020 (happened online due to COVID-19 Coronavirus):
  https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2020/DebianPerlSprint
  Report:
https://perl-team.pages.debian.net/docs/sprint-online2020/report-online2020.html

  Worked well but not as nice as an in-person meeting, but it went well
anyways.
  Would want to have more Online Sprints until they can happen in person
again.

* Future sprints
Do something similar to the Online Sprint in May, sometime during Autumn
2020 (→ exact dates to be discussed and chosen on the mailing list)

Perl 5.32 transition
====================
We should have this in Debian Bullseye so get it fixed before freeze in
January 2021
* Scheduling
* Blockers:
  - perl-tk, RFH, bug: 960863 -- Give Collin the Debian Maintainer a
Week or Two to Respond with a fix
  - IPv6 build failures - Waiting for Dom to upload a patch to fix
upstream bug, in libio-socket-ip-perl #964902  workaround about bug in
glibc; people will talk to upstream about this
[update: both fixed in the meantime]
[update: 5.32 uploaded to unstable on 2020-11-08, migrated to testing on
2020-11-18]

Perl 7
======

* https://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2020/06/msg00022.html
* Current status (so far as dom can tell; fast moving topic)
* might result in >1 supported Perl version in Debian; difficult topic
* the cpan modules should be the same for perl 7 and 5.32 (gregoa) -
What about the corner cases where Postgres uses Perl in a very hidden
place?, that should be good to look at before we move along to far in
the update cycle and that might us end up in a bad place, what other
packages is using perl? everything in Debian can (carp for example)
* Dom is somewhat involved in the Core Perl Discussions

Revisit items from the BoF at DebConf19
=======================================

https://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2019/08/msg00013.html

* Removal of unmaintained quasi-native packages
  * pkg-components (few remaining rdeps) might be able to get rid of it
completely, libparse-debianchangelog-perl (removed), license-reconcile
(removed)
    [update: all rdeps of pkg-components fixed, pkg-components removed]
  * Embperl either gets kept or Axel takes it over outside the team. -
Do someone wanna revive the conversation with upstream about this? - Dom
to email Axel

Miscelleanous, Any other business
=================================

* pkg-perl social event on jitsi at a later point this week?
  [update: did not happen]

"Leftovers"
(What to take to the BoF at DebCOnf21, a gobby document was created at
https://gobby.debian.org/export/debconf21/bof/pkg-perl)

* tooling for inactive group members
* <!nocheck> (policy?)
* dgit