Re: Statistics::PCA and friends

On Thu, 21 May 2020 19:12:23 +0200, Étienne Mollier wrote:

> > I'd love to switch to dpt but its always so hard to switch from
> > "something that works" to "something that might work a bit differen but
> > its state of the art".  I would welcome if someone would check our
> > scripts and turn them into wrappers around some dpt calls in case
> > there might be some additional functionality (sorry I never managed
> > to check dpt despite I probably should).
> dpt standing for Debian Perl packaging Tools, I would suppose a
> few built-in capabilities may be Debian Perl Team specific, but
> yes, a more generic automata could be interesting I guess.

Indeed, there are some pkg-perl specifics in our tools, but yes, some
are probably useful for others, and in Debian we have a long
tradition of duplicating work :/

> Speaking of automation, I tried to run routine-update out of
> curiosity, and it dropped the debhelper-compat from level 13 to
> level 12.  I was wondering if there would be concerns over
> moving too fast to newer debhelper-compat version, or if the
> latest and greatest is always the one recommended.  In doubt I
> undid the the routine-update changes, for now.

From a perl point of view: We have often been a bit slow and careful
not to switch to a new debhelper compat level too early, especially
when there are no gains for our type of packages.

With debhelper 13 there are some nice improvements, so it makes sense
to use it IMO.

 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe
   `-