Re: debian package "URL::Encode::XS"

Hi Gregor

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 12:59 AM gregor herrmann <gregoa@debian.org> wrote:
On Sat, 09 May 2020 23:05:12 +0100, Joao Miguel Ferreira wrote:

> Is there a debian package with URL::Encode::XS ? I'm trying to find it but
> no luck so far.

No.
Or: Not yet, so far it hasn't been packaged, but as some other
modules recommend it, I'm looking into packaging it now.

Ok, that is great :) really cool

> It's a dependency of another module I need to use.

That's surprising, as  URL::Encode::XS says:

DESCRIPTION
    The main URL::Encode package will use this package automatically if it
    can find it. Do not use this package directly, use URL::Encode instead.

So any other other module should be fine with just URL::Encode.

Yes, I understand. The module I'm working with is "Paws", in CPAN. And it refers explicitly to, both, URL::Encode and URL::Encode::XS. Maybe the author wants to make sure that the users always get XS. Paws has many other dependencies, the great majority of which are covered by APT. Only a few (5, if I remember correctly) are not and I must use cpanm to install them. And, among these only URL::Encode::XS is forcing me to install gcc :) the others only need make.

That was just my attempt to clarify what I'm doing. Bellow is a link to my project:

https://gitlab.com/joaomcferreira/debian10-perl528-apt-else-cpanm

My goal is to be able to setup a base dev/run perl environment, on Docker, on Debian/buster, with as much as possible, using only APT. I also have a similar setup using only cpanm. But there is a huge number of advantages (for my case) in using the "APT first" approach.

Thank you very much for your clarifications
Cheers

 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 : :' : OpenPGP fingerprint D1E1 316E 93A7 60A8 104D  85FA BB3A 6801 8649 AA06
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe
   `-   NP: Tanita Tikaram: Happy Taxi